I've been thinking about how to break down the habit of eating slowly and more mindfully, and I've decided on these eight steps:
1) Always sit down when I eat. I mean this literally, I'm just going to focus on not eating while I'm walking, standing, lying down etc.
2) At breakfast, don't do anything else while I eat (except talk to people I might be eating with), i.e. no watching TV, reading the newspaper or checking my e-mail during breakfast.
3) Extend the doing nothing else-rule to lunch.
4) Extend the doing nothing else-rule to snacking.
5) Extend the doing nothing else-rule to dinner.
6) Put down the utensils (or the sandwich or whatever if I'm eating something without utensils) between each bite.
7) Sip water, or just pause and take a moment between each bite.
8) After each bite, be conscious to notice the flavors and textures and describe them to myself (in my head, I guess, haha).
So that's it, and my mission until next Sunday is to always eat sitting down. I'll be updating to report how I'm doing :) (So far today, breakfast and lunch were both eaten sitting down).